About Our Parish
Saint John Neumann Parish was established on July 2, 1979 as the 321st parish in the Diocese of Pittsburgh to serve the families of Franklin Park and surrounding areas. Fr. William R Bovard was appointed pastor and 356 families joined the new parish.
On September 13, 1981, the groundbreaking ceremony for the new church took place on the property at 2230 Rochester Road. Bishop Vincent Leonard dedicated St John Neumann Church in May of 1982.
In 2006, new space was added to our church complex, including specially designed atrium space for our Catechesis of the Good Shepherd; a Parish Hall (later named “Bovard Hall” in honor of our founding pastor)
Our Patron Saint
Ordained in 1836 by the Bishop of New York, he trudged the Niagara frontier for four winters. He built churches, established schools, and was loved by children everywhere.
In 1840, he became the first American immigrant to join the Redemptorist order of priests.
His work later brought him to Pittsburgh.
At forty-eight, worn out from his apostolic endeavor, he dropped dead in the street. His remains now repose in the crypt of St. Peter’s at Fifth and Girard in Philadelphia.
Our Parish Today
On April 28, 2018, Bishop David Zubik announced that St. John Neumann Parish would join a grouping of parishes with the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, located in Bellevue, and Sacred Heart parish, located in Emsworth.
On July 1, 2020, Fr. Joe Freedy became administrator of our grouping. He serves the spritual needs of the parishioners in our grouping along with Fr. Tim Deely, Fr. Jeff Craig, and Deacon Rick Caruso.